Chief Executive Officer
J. Taggart Birge
With more than twenty years of experience in real estate development, financing, and law, Tag currently leads Birge & Held’s development, underwriting, and investment business lines.
Since co-founding Birge & Held in 2008, Tag led the firm in acquiring more than $800,000,000 in apartment investments.
● Building Owner’s and Management Association Board of Directors ● Bowen Engineering Board of Directors ● Developed $200 million of real estate nationally as Senior Vice President of Healthcare at Lauth Property Group ● Focused on real estate law as a partner at Bose McKinney & Evans, LLP in Indianapolis
● University of Virginia, JD ● Indiana University, BA
President and Chief Operating Officer
Active in real estate development and financing throughout his career, Andrew helped build Birge & Held into one of the most active private equity apartment acquisition companies in the Midwest. He now spearheads the company’s national expansion.
Since co-founding Birge & Held in 2008, Andrew helped expand the company’s portfolio to more than 10,000 owned and managed apartments.
● Practiced commercial and real estate development law at Hackman, Hullet & Cracraft and Bose, McKinney & Evans ● Represented many of the nation’s largest commercial development and construction companies in cases involving development, leasing, financing, and dispositions
● Butler University, MBA ● Indiana University School of Law, JD ● Indiana University, BA
Chief Financial Officer
Adam Bailey, CPA
Adam handles banking relationships, cash positions, and financial and accounting matters for Birge & Held. In addition to his role as CFO, Adam also provides tax guidance and risk management services for all of the company’s residential assets.
Active in real estate development and property management since 2006, Adam worked with developers and management companies nationwide on more than 200 projects prior to joining Birge & Held.
● Current member, Indiana CPA Society ● Coordinated audit, compliance, and tax consulting services for numerous real estate developers and property management companies throughout the U.S. ● Responsible for more than $1,200,000 in annual firm revenue as a manager at Dauby, O’Connor & Zaleski, LLC, a full-service accounting firm
● Indiana University Kelley School of Business, BS in Accounting and Finance
Vice President, Operations
Clarke focuses on strategic management processes including asset repositioning, cash flow, value growth, and team building. With an in-depth understanding of the industry, Clarke leads Birge & Held’s commitment to upholding investor objectives through the effective and efficient leadership of the Marketing, Human Resources, Operations, Client Asset and Training Teams
Clarke’s expertise includes real estate industry strategy and the successful execution of investor objectives.
● Acquisitions ● Team Leadership ● Receiverships ● Dispositions ● Capital improvement planning ● Project execution ● Repositioning distressed assets ● New Development ● Financial strategy and review ● Budget creation ● Lease up opportunities ● Indiana Apartment Association 2018/2019 Board of Directors ● Indiana Apartment Association 2019 Executive Finance Committee ● Financial and operational management for a REIT ● Financial and operational management for a third-party management firm
● Institute of Real Estate Management, ARM ● Taylor University, BA, MBA
Vice President, Investments
Aaron oversees Birge & Held’s investment services, including acquisitions, dispositions, equity funding, investor relations, and due diligence.
Over the past decade, Aaron has been part of more than 30 commercial real estate transactions totaling over $750 million.
● Valuation and underwriting of retail and office assets ● Creation of asset disposition models ● Production of offering packages for investment opportunities in office, retail, and multi-family real estate transactions ● Budgeting and forecasting for the development and redevelopment of malls and lifestyle centers
● Indiana University Kelley School of Business, BS in Accounting
Vice President, Human Resources
Haley Aust, PHR
As the company’s head of Human Resources, Haley drives Birge & Held’s organizational culture—promoting an inclusive and rewarding environment that values and rewards creativity and initiative.
Haley ensures HR is consistent with the firm’s overall strategy, with a focus on attracting and retaining the best talent in the industry.
● Member and Contributor, Forbes HR Council ● Member, Society for Human Resources Professionals (SHRM) ● Member, IndySHRM
● Society for Human Resources Management, Professional in Human Resources (PHR) ● Indiana University, BS in Health Administration
Vice President, Legal
Serving as Birge & Held’s General Counsel, Brian oversees all legal aspects of the company’s development, acquisition, leasing, and management activities. With a depth of expertise developed in years of legal practice across multiple subject areas, Brian’s eye for detail and nuance provide critical insight and value to client projects.
● Legal counsel for multifamily real estate transactions ● Former Editor-in-Chief of the Indiana Health Law Review
● Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, JD ● Purdue University, BS in Biological Sciences
Senior Vice President, Western Region
With more than 15 years of experience in real estate investment in New England and the Rocky Mountain region, Chris sources strategic investment opportunities for Birge & Held’s West Coast portfolio.
In the course of his career, Chris sourced 1,000+ units with 2x returns and IRR over 40%, and helped a major multifamily REIT acquire more than $1billion in assets.
● Transaction management ● Acquisitions ● Redevelopment ● Dispositions ● Multifamily investments ● Financial analysis ● Property analytics ● Capital solutions
● Texas A & M University, MS in Land Development ● The University of Massachusetts Amherst Isenberg School of Management, BA in Finance
After providing executive and project support in private equity at a top consulting firm in Chicago, Stephanie now handles project management, investor relations, and support for Birge & Held’s growing acquisitions team.
After joining Birge & Held, Stephanie sourced and deployed new technology solutions to streamline the company’s project and customer relations management.
● Executive support in private equity ● Customer relationship management ● Project management
● Purdue University, BA in Classical Studies, Minors in History and Anthropology
Managing director, Head of Acquisitions and Development
As Head of Acquisitions and Development, Jarod handles projects in both affordable housing and market rate properties. Combining extensive legal expertise with a strong background in property development and high value transactions, Jarod provides forward-thinking leadership at Birge & Held.
Prior to joining Birge & Held, Jarod served as counsel on transactions in excess of $900,000,000.
● Structuring transactions, including private placements ● Corporate finance ● Real estate development law ● Legal counsel for real estate developers, investors, and financial institutions ● Recognized in U.S. News and World Report’s list of Best Lawyers in 2014, 2015, and 2016 ● Appointed by Governor Mitch Daniels to the Indiana Real Estate Commission, 2011
● Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, JD ● Indiana University, BS in Business
Vice President, Asset Management
As Vice President of Asset Management, Andrew is responsible for the development and execution of Birge & Held projects. From financial modeling to asset-level analysis, Andrew works to support clients’ overall portfolios with the best opportunities for growth. With a background in corporate finance and strategy, Andrew’s reporting adds value throughout the evaluation and management processes.
In his previous role, Andrew helped create global strategies for a $25billion portfolio of trademarks.
● Diverse Corporate Finance experience ● Financial planning and analysis ● Corporate strategy ● Mergers and acquisitions
● Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) ● Indiana University Kelley School of Business, BS in Finance and Accounting
Director of Property Management, Client Assets
Birge & Held’s Director of Property Management for Client Assets, Therese Cochran, brings a wealth of experience and expertise to her role. She serves as the head of Birge & Held’s client asset accounts and acts as the in-house LIHTC and Project-Based Section 8 expert. From spearheading technology innovation that adds value and increases occupancy, to mentoring and training other successful multifamily professionals throughout her career, Therese’s impact on the industry—and individual client portfolios—continues to expand.
In her 25 years in real estate management, Therese leased, managed, and repositioned billions of dollars in multifamily assets.
• Repositioning distressed assets • New construction Class A • Stabilizing B and C assets • LIHTC affordable new construction • Stabilizing LIHTC properties • New construction student housing • Repositioning student housing • Receiverships • Bank-owned assets • Mixed-use and medical office space • Digital marketing • Lease up
• Institute of Real Estate Management, Certified Property Manager • National Apartment Association, Certified Portfolio Manager • National Center for Housing Management, Certified Occupancy Specialist • Spectrum Companies, Certified Credit Compliance Specialist • Pierce College, BA in Real Estate Management
Vice President, Accounting
As Vice President for Accounting, Emily oversees Birge & Held’s accounting staff, establishes and monitors internal controls and accounting policies, maintains the general ledger used to prepare financial statements, and represents the firm with external financial auditors.
Emily’s careful oversight ensures more effective and efficient money and asset management.
• Overseeing staff workload and development • Maintaining internal controls to ensure accurate and appropriate financial and asset management • Crafting detailed policies and procedures for accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll • Managing the general ledger • Working with external auditors
• Franklin College, BA • Indiana University Kelley School of Business, MS
Vice President, Construction
As the leader of renovation and development at Birge & Held, Karen oversees projects ranging from ground-up construction to capital improvements. Assembling a network of vetted subcontractors and vendors, Karen ensures that the right team works strategically to meet goals, budgets, and deadlines.
Karen’s in-depth experience and civil engineering background help her balance costs, quality, and schedule implementation to optimize capital projects portfolio-wide.
● Commercial construction ● Green building ● Estimating ● Contracting ● Project management ● Business development
● Professional Engineering License, 2013-present ● Purdue University, BS in Civil Engineering